We are currently looking for a Medical Scientist, Senior (Incorporating Lab IT) with experience in LIS and other IT systems in use in the Pathology Department and MRHP, to work for one of our clients.
- Provide support for all of the Laboratory information and technology (IT) systems including the LIS, Q-Pulse, Hanwell and associated infrastructure & applications.
- Respond to all requests for assistance and problem solving in relation to IT within the Laboratory.
- Manage the rollout of software & hardware infrastructure implementations.
- Liaise with HSE OoCIO and IT suppliers/vendors on IT related activities.
- Manage compliance with organisational quality management, accreditation, ICT and data protection standards.
- Liaise with other IT Scientists in the region.
- Participate in implementing a laboratory service that supports the clinical needs of the patients and is consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of the Health Service Executive.
- Participate with the Laboratory Manager and relevant others in identifying and implementing operational processes to the standard of ‘best practice’ in order to optimise use of resources.
- Participate in the production of the annual departmental report as well as other relevant annual reports.
- Be responsible for performance, maintenance, condition, quality control and record keeping of all instruments within assigned areas of the laboratory. Ensure all equipment malfunctions are investigated, reported and resolved accordingly.
- Participate in the implementation of a quality management system which is patient centred and which measures and audits performance and user satisfaction.
- Ensure appropriate compliance with international and national guidelines and legal and professional standards for the provision of relevant laboratory services and actively participate in internal and external quality assurance.
- Participate in setting policies, standards and best practice guidelines.
- Participate in relevant accreditation processes.
- Participate in the preparation and review of QMS documentation IT in accordance with the laboratory’s quality and document control procedures.
- Participate in the reporting of non-conformances, complaints, incidents and near misses and perform corrective actions as required.
- Participate in audits as required.
- Implement procurement, invoicing and expenditure controls in line with departmental and National Financial Regulations.
- Provide appropriate statistical and verification information to the Laboratory Management team.
- Participate in the preparation of budget estimates including business cases for new technology and a planned programme for replacing capital equipment or other such duties as are required from time to time by the laboratory manager.
Education & Training
Risk, Health & Safety
- Statutory Registration, Professional Qualifications, Experience, etc.
- Be registered on the Medical Scientists Register maintained by the Medical Scientists Registration Board at CORU.
- Possess one of the following NFQ Level 9 post graduate qualifications or equivalent qualification at minimum Level 9 validated by the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine.
OR An equivalent qualification at minimum Level 9 validated by the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (ACSLM).
OR Have attained the Fellowship examination of the Institute of Biomedical Science (Awarded prior to 1999).
- Possess four years full time clinical experience (or an aggregate of four years’ full time clinical experience) as a medical scientist in a clinical diagnostic laboratory since qualifying as a medical scientist.
- Demonstrate evidence of Continuous Professional Development.
- Candidates must have the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and management ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
- Practitioners must maintain annual registration on Medical Scientists Register maintained by the Medical Scientists Registration Board at CORU.
- Practitioners must confirm annual registration with CORU by way of the annual Patient Safety Assurance Certificate (PSAC).
Knowledge & Experience relevant to the role:
- Demonstrate sufficient theoretical, practical, and clinical knowledge to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role and to develop, maintain, monitor and evaluate new and emerging trends.
- Demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of LIS and other IT systems in use in the Pathology Department and MRHP.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Quality Management System and Accreditation to ISO 15189 Standard, and in particular the IT requirements.
- Demonstrate experience in documentation preparation and staff training.
- Demonstrate evidence of good computer/IT skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrate evidence of project management skills, teamwork and problem solving.
- Planning and Managing Resources
- Commitment to Providing a Quality Service
- Evaluating Information and Judging Situations
- Managing & Developing (Self & Others)